10 Simple Ways to Stay Healthy and Balanced
I think many people get overwhelmed when they think about how to start living healthier and how to achieve their health goals. A lot of people assume you have to make these massive changes, and that can feel really daunting. There's so much information out there as to what you SHOULD be doing, but I thought I'd list 10 things that I have found that made me healthier and my life more balanced.
It doesn't have to be anything crazy, just small things you can do everyday. That may mean waking wake up a few minutes earlier or taking a few purposeful moments in the middle of the day to do something good for your well-being. But over time, these little tips will become habits and part of your normal routine.
1. Meditate: Take 5 minutes and focus on your breath or try a guided meditation if you’re just beginning. There are some great apps out there with free meditations. My favorite is Insight Timer.
2. Have a daily routine: Keep a gratitude journal and write down 3 things you're grateful before the busy parts of life set in for the day. This sets the tone of how your day will go.
3. Eat more real and unprocessed foods: I can't stress this enough, but the power of plants is incredible! Purchase things from the store that don't come in a box or that are not pre-packaged or pre-sliced.
4. Drink lots of water: The recommended amount is 2 liters or eight 8 oz glasses a day.
5. Move everyday in some way: This can be a short walk, taking the stairs instead of the elevator at work, coming home and stretching on the living room floor for 15 minutes, or attending a workout class. Every kind of movement makes a difference.
6. Indulge: You don't have restrict yourself from all those 'bad' foods. Just have the glass of wine or a slice of the chocolate cake, maybe not the whole bottle or the whole cake but you can have some ;)
7. Enjoy your hard work: We are so set on what to do next and how we can achieve the next thing that we rarely take time to celebrate our wins even when they’re small. So appreciate the moment when you reach a goal!
8. Be with those you love and that cherish you: Studies show that when you’re with people you care about, your mood is uplifted and stress is decreased. This can even lead to a longer life expectancy.
9. Do something you really love everyday: In the Healthstyle Emporium, we call this a joy menu. It's a list of things that make you happy, like having a coffee, getting your nails done, or picking flowers. It doesn't have to be big, just something you love to do!
10. Be outside in nature: Go for a walk in the park or go down to the beach. Lay in the backyard and feel the sunshine on your face and the wind in your hair.
Being healthy doesn't have to be a huge shift in your everyday life. It can be small things, that when done consistently over time lead to big changes. I know these little tips have helped me to lead a more balanced life, but I know that there are many other ways too. Try a few this week and see how you feel, and eventually it will become such a part of your life that you won't even have to think about it.